Sunday, August 23, 2009

In which I honor a non-veg's request

In July, my good friends from CA came to visit me for a long weekend. They are both omnis, but having eaten my food before, trust me to feed them well. Still, the hostess in me needed a back up plan, so I bought a frozen dinner to have on hand just in case either of them wanted something else.

During that weekend we had my famous potstickers and now-famous lasagna (both recipes will be blogged the next time I make them). We also had these quick and easy raspberry turnovers.


When Sharon learned of my new blog, her first request was for this recipe. So here it is, Share-bear. Enjoy!

Almond-Raspberry Turnovers

1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed (Pepperidge Farm brand happens to be vegan!)
raspberry jam

For the icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 TBS soy milk
slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cut each piece of pastry into 4 or 5 pieces (a pizza cutter makes this easy).


Open each piece by unfolding it. Place about a TBS of raspberry jam in the center portion.



Fold the sides back up, first one then the other. Press gently to seal. If you don't, the jam will all melt and run out while they're cooking! And that just sucks.



Bake for 20-25 minutes on the middle rack, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.

To make the icing, combine everything except the slivered almonds in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled turnovers. Before icing sets, sprinkle with slivered almonds.

These are best served warm.

I've also made these into a hor'dourve-type dessert. To do so, cut puff pastry into squares. Top each square with a tsp of jam in the center (centering it is important; the jam will sort of sink in while it cooks, instead of running all over). Bake for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Top with icing and almonds when cooled, as above.

No comments:

Post a Comment